The courses below will be proposed as part of the degree program. They will be taken over one year, or three quarters (9 Month Program).
- ECPS 202 — Cyber-Physical Systems Design (4): Requirements and specification, MoCs, tools, design, merging cyber and physical, manufacturing, examples (robots, energy house, self driving car, pacemaker…). Design process, specification, requirements, modeling, components, selection, interfaces, system structure, different levels, verification, testing. Prerequisite: CPS 206 and CPS 205.
- ECPS 203 — Embedded Systems Modeling and Design (4): ES definition, system-level specification, models and languages. Concepts, requirements, examples. Embedded system models at different levels of abstraction. Test benches, design under test, IP components. Discrete event simulation, semantics, and algorithms. Design and analysis techniques for decentralized computer architectures, communication, and hardware-software interface. Prerequisite: EECS 112/112L or equivalent.
- ECPS 204 — Embedded System Software (4): Embedded system software concepts,
requirements, examples, for engineering applications such as multi-media and automotive. Software methodology. Specification, design constraints. Embedded operating systems. Input/output, interrupt handling. Code generation, compilation, instruction set simulation. Distributed object model distributed environment, platform-independent software agents and components. Prerequisite: CPS 203.
- ECPS 205 – sensors, actuators and sensor networks (4): Introduction to the technology of MEMS. Fundamental principles and applications of sensors, actuators. Processing of materials for micro sensor/actuator fabrication; smart sensors and microsensor/microactuator array devices. Introduction to signal processing and sensor/actuator networks, deployment and architecture, wireless communication, multiple access control layer, data gathering, routing and querying, collaborating signal processing and distributed computation, and security issues. Prerequisite: EECS 148 or equivalent.
- ECPS 206 — Real-time & distributed systems (4): Time dependent systems, clock synchronization, real-time communication protocols, specification of requirements, task scheduling. Validation of timelines, real-time configuration management. Middleware architecture for distributed real-time and secure services. Prerequisite: EECS 111 or equivalent.
- ECPS 207 – Security, privacy and regulatory considerations in CPS (4): System and networks security: attacks and countermeasures, authentication, identification, data secrecy, data integrity, authorization, access control, computer viruses, network security. Introduction to secure e-commerce and applications of public key methods, digital certificates, and credentials. Overview of regulations related to environmental and sustainability issues and regulatory bodies in the US and worldwide, and their impact on engineering design and development. Prerequisite: CPS 205.
- ECPS 208 — Control Systems for CPS (4): State space representation (continuous and discrete), principles of optimization, model predictive control, robustness to actuation or communications limitations, control of networked systems, multi-agent co-operation and control. Prerequisite: EECS 160 or equivalent, CPS 205.
- ECPS 209 – CPS Case studies (4): Seminar course covering CPS case studies in applications such as (but not limited to: automotive and transportation, manufacturing, power distribution grid, medical and healthcare, robotics, civil infrastructure, avionics. Prerequisite: CPS 202. ECPS 210 – Project (4): Students are required to complete a project that deals with a specific emphasis of Cyber-Physical Systems. This can be in applications such as (but not limited to): automotive and transportation, manufacturing, power distribution grid, medical and healthcare, robotics, civil infrastructure, avionics. Prerequisite: CPS 209, CPS 202 and CPS 204.